- Type: Graduate Certificate
- Location: Distance Learning
- Duration: 32 weeks
- Deadline: Ongoing
The online Certificate in Epidemiology is available as a standalone graduate certificate or as a set of electives within the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) accredited Master of Public Health program. This certificate teaches students how to apply biostatistic research methods in order to uncover the patterns, causes and effects of disease and design effective solutions to public health issues.
Through research, education and policy, epidemiologists uncover trends that help minimize the risk and reduce the incidence of negative public health issues. The skills required to do this cross many disciplines from communication to the sciences.
Through this program students will learn to:
- Use biostatistic methods to address, analyze and solve problems in public health.
- Acquire skills in statistical and epidemiological software applications including Excel, SPSS, SurveyMonkey, and EpiInfo.
- Study patterns of illness and injury in populations to prevent and control health problems.
- Apply fundamental research principles and methods to improve population health.
- Develop a survey instrument, collect and analyze data, and develop and communicate findings clearly to both professional and lay audiences.
The demand for trained epidemiologists is on the rise. Employment in this field is expected to increase 10 percent from 2012 to 2022.1
Epidemiologists work for:
- State and local health departments
- Federal government agencies
- Private health care and pharmaceutical companies
- International and nongovernmental agencies
- Consulting firms
- Medical centers
1Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition, Epidemiologists, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/epidemiologists.htm (visited July 29, 2014).
Why Choose Benedictine Online?
- By earning your EpidemiologyCertificate online at Benedictine, you will receive all the benefits that Benedictine offers with its rich history spanning more than 127 years of academic excellence
- Join an established program that is the second largest of its kind in Illinois
- Complete your coursework according to your own schedule with our online, interactive format
- Earn the same respected credential as students in the traditional, on-campus program
- Get help from your personal full-time advisor when you need it