The University of Sunderland is an innovative, forward-thinking university with high standards of teaching, research and support. We have strong links with industry and business, and work closely with some of the world's leading companies.
Our two Sunderland campuses and our London campus are perfectly placed to ensure a life-changing student experience.
The Faculty of Applied Sciences
We are large Faculty which provides undergraduate and postgraduate programmes across a diverse range of applied science discipline areas housed within 4 departments: Department of Computing, Engineering and Technology
, Department of Pharmacy Health and Well-being
, which includes Sunderland Pharmacy School
,Department of Psychology
and Department of Sports and Exercise Sciences
As a Faculty we are committed to ensuring our students, in addition to achieving a qualification, have an excellent experience whilst studying with us.Teaching staff in the Faculty are experts in their discipline area and are committed to providing excellent student support, as well as undertaking world leading research and consultancy which feed into the curriculum design. This ensures the programmes we offer are modern, relevant and innovative.
Why Choose the Faculty of Applied Sciences
As a Faculty we offer Undergraduate courses in the following areas:
- We have signed partnerships with Sony Playstation, Microsoft and CISCO. We also work with IBM, Yahoo, Nissan, Sage and British Airways
- Strong links with Nissan Motor Manufacturing (UK) Ltd, Thyssen Krupp Automotive, Tallent
- We have over 100 years’ experience of teaching engineering and were the first university to introduce a sandwich year, in our Mechanical Engineering course
- Rated first out of 108 Psychology departments in the UK for Teaching Excellence by the Sunday Times University Guide 2012
- Multi-million pound development of the University Sciences Complex, incorporating state of the art analytical laboratories, and sports equipment, including the Xsens suit which allows you to take 3D motion capture out of the lab and into the real-world
- The University of Sunderland hosts the 6th ranked Pharmacy School in the UK, Guardian League Table 2013 and has over 90 years of teaching pharmacy: 1911-2011
- We are home to two Sim Man 3G simulation manikins which are used throughout the Pharmacy and Health Programmes. Sim Man 3G provides the students with the closest possible real life scenario
As a Faculty we offer Postgraduate courses in the following areas:
- Psychology (2)
- Computing (7)
- Engineering (3)
- Sciences (5)
- Sport (4)
- Health (2)
- Psychology (2)
- Computing (6)
- Engineering (1)
- Sciences (11)
- Sport (1)
- Health (2)
Sunderland is a city by the sea and surrounded by easily accessible countryside in one of the most beautiful parts of the UK. Add to that a close proximity to the cities of Durham and Newcastle, all three provide a wide range of activities as well as being rich in outstanding heritage and culture. The Faculty of Applied Sciences is split over our two campuses, which are both a short walk from the city centre and from literally miles of sandy beaches.
The Admissions Team within the University of Sunderlandis responsible for the application process for all applications to foundation, undergraduate, postgraduate, full time and some part time programmes.
All applications for our undergraduate courses must be submitted through UCAS
. For our postgraduate courses, applications can be submitted online via our relevant course pages or as a paper form which can be sent to our admissions team at the following address:
University of Sunderland
Fees and Scholarships
You can find course fees on the relevantcourse pages of our website
UK and EU Course Fees
The University of Sunderland’s undergraduate tuition fees range from £7000 to £8500 for UK and EU students and from £9000 for International students.
Our postgraduate tuition fees can range from anywhere between £850 per 20 credits for short courses to £4050 for Masters Courses. Furthermore, UK and EU alumni are entitled to a £750 deduction from their initial course fees.
International Course Fees
Both undergraduate and postgraduate course fees are between £9000 and £9400, however please note that all international students will be eligible for a £1500 scholarship which will go towards their fees.
To help you manage the cost of university we offer a number of generous scholarships.
Scholarships on offer include cash bursaries, reduced tuition fees, free accommodation and free public transport.
You can also download our brief guide to fees and scholarships at the University of Sunderland.
Download the guide: Fees and Scholarships Guide 2013-14 (.pdf)