Why study in Australia?

Sunshine, a relaxed way of live, BBQs on the beach and some of the finest universities in the world. Studying in Australia is a perfect option for those wanting to study abroad.

The QS World University Rankings 2011-12 placed eight Australian universities within the top 200 in the world. The top universities are the Australian National University (in Canberra), the University of Melbourne, the University of Sydney, the University of Queensland, the University of New South Wales, Monash University, the University of Western Australia and the University of Adelaide.

Australian degrees are the same as British in that they follow the bachelors-masters-doctorate route. This is the Commonwealth and world standard for university education, and 25% of Australian universities are in the Times QS Top World University Rankings. So, a degree from an Australian university is always going to set you in good standing on the world stage.

Work after studying in Australia

Australia also offers opportunity for a wealth of work related internships, and you may be able to fit these around your degree, meaning you’ll gain valuable real-world experience – aside from that that you’ll get from living and studying in an entirely new country. Students who study for two years or more at either under or postgraduate level in Australia are eligible to stay and work for a further two years after their degree is finished. So, not explored every inch of the vast country by the time graduation rolls around? It doesn’t matter, you can stay.

If you are not suitably qualified for further study you can take up a Bridging or Foundation course, which will give you the skills needed to progress into the level of education that you want. Courses such as these are widely available at universities throughout the country.

Your student visa

There are a few different types of visa that are available to international students in Australia. The most suitable for a higher education student’s purpose is the Student visa – this is the type that you will need if you have been accepted onto a higher education course in Australia and you plan to be enrolled on it for more than three months.

 It will allow you multiple entries into the country, as well as the ability to work for up to 20 hours per week in term time and unlimited hours in the holidays. Eligible dependent family members can accompany you to Australia, and they are also permitted to work for up to 20 hours per week. If you bring your spouse with you they are allowed to study for up to three months under the terms of the visa.
Your visa will allow you to support yourself whilst you’re studying in Australia. You will be allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during term time, and as many hours as you like outside of term. If you have dependent family members they are entitled to travel to Australia with you – and they can also work.

Glorious weather, relaxed lifestyle, low tuition fees, golden beaches, world-class universities – just some of the reasons why so many students make the decision to leave their home countries, pack their bags, board a plane and pitch up in Australia for their studies. Half a million did exactly that last year.
comments powered by Disqus