Application to Study in Canada

Applying to study in Canada follows a slightly different order to most countries. The first thing you need to do is to investigate and apply to the courses that you are looking to study. Canada is different to a lot of countries in that its higher education is organised by the individual provinces, rather than by the country as a whole – so the process might be slightly different, depending on which area you are applying to.

Requirements for studying in Quebec, for example, are different to those in other territories.

Studying in Canada by territory

Finding information about courses and choosing which might be the best for you can seem like a daunting experience, especially when those courses are in a foreign country. Luckily there are a few places that you can go to find out what is available. For information on what's available, you can visit the education websites of specific territories:
British Columbia
Ontario Universities Application Centre
Ontario Colleges Application Service
Quebec City
Saguenay/Lac St-Jean

One of the most important things to remember is that the application process is likely to take a long time – so look into your options early. Realistically, you should apply for your courses a year before they are due to start. You should start the process by emailing the admissions office and asking for an application form. They are also likely to give you information on visas and other important things. You should expect four to sixth months before any decisions are made.

Study permits in Canada

Before you can study in Canada, though, you will need to get a study permit. A permit is needed if your course lasts longer than six months – which a university course is obviously very likely to.
You can get your study permit at your nearest Canadian visa office. There are visa offices across the world. You will need to take with you your university letter of acceptance, personal identification, and proof that you have the funds to support yourself while you are in Canada.

Your permit will not be granted until you reach Canada and meet with an officer from the Border Services Agency, who will check that you have all the relevant documents. You will receive your permit once the officer has checked that you have all the relevant documents: your induction letter from the visa office, passport, university acceptance letter, proof of funds documents band temporary residence visa (if needed).

Your study permit can be extended at a later date, if you decide to prolong your studies in Canada.
comments powered by Disqus